Useful Checklist

We may be in touch to request further documents but in the meantime, please take a look at this page to help you prepare the documents that we might need to see.

For the person that has passed away

In some cases, but not all, we will need to see a copy of the death certificate or coroner's certificate so it would be useful if you send us a photograph or scanned copy via email when the certificate becomes available as it could save us time asking for it at a later date. However, if the person that has passed away lived overseas, you will always need to send us a scanned copy of the death certificate.

Benefits may be payable to a spouse, civil partner or financial dependant but it will be dependent on the Trust Deed & Rules of the pension scheme. Before any benefits are paid, the Trustee may need to see a number of documents to make sure that the money is going to the right people.

If the person who passed away had a spouse or a civil partner, we may also need to see these certificates
  • Marriage or Civil Partnership Certificate
  • Birth Certificate or Passport of current spouse / civil partner /partner
Be aware we may need to see these documents but we will let you know if we do
  • A copy of the Will
  • Grant of Probate (if available)
  • Letters of Administration (if available)
Any other documentary evidence which is relevant

We will let you know separately if we need to see any other documents.

What do you need to do next?

Please send a photograph or scanned copy via email of the death or coroner's certificate if it is available to the Bereavement Support Service using this email address and include the full name, date of birth or National Insurance Number and post code of the person that has passed away together with the scheme name.

If you are sending us a copy of a Passport, please note the copy should include the information (including the MRZ number at the bottom of the passport) and the passport photo of the individual.

If you need further help with sending WTW a scanned copy of a document or certificate, please click here.

If you do not have an email address, please send certified copies of these certificates to the following address:

  • The Bereavement Support Service
  • PO Box 545
  • Redhill
  • Surrey
  • RH1 1YX

Please click this link to find some External Support and Advice.